This is a quick look at how to create and use subtotals in your Matrix objects.
SQL Server Reporting Services makes it relatively easy to add totals to your columns and rows in a matrix object. In short, it’s as easy as right-click>Subtotal. Seriously, that’s it. Well, unless you want to format them, but that’s another issue entirely (an not quite as straight forward).
Let’s do this step-by-step :
- Open or create a new SSRS project
- Add a report item to your project.
- Add a dataset
- Add a matrix object
- Configure matrix to desired specification
- Add totals to outer groups by right-clicking the outer column/row group for which you require the subtotals and select subtotal.
- Add subtotals for inner groups by right-clicking the inner column/row group for which you require the subtotals and select subtotal.
- Tidy up by hiding the inner group line items initially – by right-clicking the inner group and selecting Properties>Visibility and then setting the properties accordingly.
Here’s a quick 2 minute screen cast of how to create subtotals in a Matrix object in SSRS 2005. It illustrates creating row group Totals & subtotals, but applies to column groups as well:
Here’s a link to another version if you are having any trouble: http://www.screencast.com/t/OGE1MmI4