To create an environment variable on your PC/Server follow these simple steps:
- Click Start
- Right-click Computer and select Properties
- Click Advanced System Settings
- Under the Advanced Tab, click Environment Variables
- Click New…
- Enter a Variable Name and Variable Value
- Click OK, and you’re done!
Fig 1. The environment variable editor
Updating Environment Variable Values
To update the environment variable that you have just created, you can redo the steps above and choose Edit… instead of New.. in step 5. Or, You can do the following:
- Bring up a Command window (Start>Run>”cmd”)
- Type SET, and press Enter
- This will give you a list of all the Environment Variables available to you.
- Find the one you want to update, type SET YourEnvironmentVariableName=YourVariableValue
- Type SET, and press Enter to check the new value
Note – you’ll need to have administrator privileges to perform the above actions.