Please give a warm welcome to SQL Server Social!
How SQL Server Social came about
For a while now I have been thinking of setting up an event where [SQL Server] database professionals can get together on a regular basis to network, exchange ideas, have a few drinks and make a few new friends. The mixers at the start of each User Group meeting are good, but they are just not long enough, and with the lecture style format of these meetings, it is can be quite difficult to get to know more people.
I was finally gearing up to doing something about this idea, when I got a call from my good friend Jim McLeod (blog | @Jim_McLeod). He had had the same idea and his aims for the meeting and the format it would take were so similar to mine that it just made sense to team up and organise it together.
What is SQL Server Social
SQL Server Social is a monthly event that has been created to provide SQL Server Professionals with a chance to network with industry peers, discuss predefined topics, have a little fun, have a beer and make some new friends.
What is the aim of SQL Server Social
SQL Server Social aims to build local SQL Server communities through regular social meetings, where database professionals can share their experiences and learn from their peers through open discussion.
What is the format of the event
- Meetings are to be held monthly on the last Thursday of the month.
- Meetings are to be informal events with a focus on networking and open discussions, rather than lecture-style sessions.
- Several themes/topics will be suggested for each meeting. These will form the initial topics of discussion and provide the icebreaker conversations for attendees.
- Each attendee should have something specific to discuss, whether this is a existing problem they need an answer to or a solution that they want to share.
- For now, events are not sponsored, so each attendee will be expected to pay their own way. We are hoping that this will change in the very near future. If you would like to sponsor this event please contact me or Jim using the details contained at the end of this post.
- Like local User Groups, these events are free to attend and are open to anyone who currently works with or is looking to start working with SQL Server.
The first SQL Server Social — Melbourne, Australia!
The first of these events is next week (Thursday, 26th May 2011). It is going to be held at Number Five (next to Freshwater Place) on Southbank, 6 Queens Bridge Road, Melbourne, Australia. Starting at around 5:15pm the agenda is as follows:
1. 5:15pm (~45 mins) Meet and greet
2. 6:00pm (+ 1 hour) Open discussion focussed on topics-of-the-month
3. 7:00pm (15 – 30 mins) SQL Server Crosswords!
Click here to register –> http://sqlserversocial.eventbrite.com
Please bring your contact/business cards with you – one of the main aims of the event is to network after all. If you don’t have a business/contact card go check out moo.com, they make premium business cards in different formats. They are highly recommended.
The SQL Server Crosswords have been generously donated to our cause by John Sansom (blog | @JohnSansom). John is a DBA in the UK and is a frequent blogger at www.johnsansom.com. John has had several awards bestowed upon him including Microsoft’s Community Contributor 2011 and SQLServerPedia’s Professional Development 2010 Winner as well as being a Rock Star Blogger (in Tom La Rock’s rankings). John has a wealth of information on his blog, so do yourself a favour and go check it out.
This promises to be a fun event. We already have a number of people attending, so let’s see if we can grow those numbers and make this inaugural event a success. Due to the fact that this is the first of the series, we are unsure as to how many people will be interested in attending. To manage this we are limiting the number of attendees, so please be quick if you want to come along!!
If you have any questions about the event please feel free to get hold of either myself or Jim McLeod: